Length: 4 Hours
This 4 hour course covers the requirements for the establishment, maintenance, and monitoring of a respirator program. Topics include terminology, OSHA standards, NIOSH certification, and medical evaluation recommendations. Course features laboratories on self- contained breathing apparatus, respirator selection, respirator fit testing, and supplied-air respirator systems. Workshops are used to supplement classroom discussions of respirator selection and inspection procedures.
Participation in the qualitative fit testing laboratory requires a medical approval to wear a full-mask air purifying (APR) respirator and self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
All employees exposed to respiratory hazards requiring respirator use and managers of those employees.
Course Objectives: (Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to):
- Identify and describe the major elements of a respiratory protection program following 29 CFR 1910.134
- Discuss the technical aspects for the proper selection and use of respirators
- Evaluate compliance with OSHA’s respiratory protection standard
- Laboratories on respirator selection
- Qualitative fit testing
- Use of a large array of respiratory and support equipment for hands-on training
- Terminology (.5 hour)
- Supplied air respirators (.25 hour)
- Self-contained breathing apparatus (.25 hour)
- Respirator fit testing (.5 hour)
- Respirator selection (.5 hour)
- Maintenance and care (.5 hour)
- Medical evaluations (.5 hour)
- Training and information (.5 hour)
- Respirator use (.5 hour)